Venom poisoning caused by Agkistrodon piscivorus

Venom Poisoning Caused by Agkistrodon piscivorus

Agkistrodon piscivorus, commonly known as Cottonmouths or Water Moccasins, are members of the family Viperidae. These large venomous snakes can be found in swamps, river banks, and around the edges of patients from the southeastern United States. Cottonmouths are cold-blooded, nocturnal predators that feed on a variety of prey, including fish, frogs, and small mammals.

Agkistrodon piscivorus has a potent venom that is composed mainly of shredded proteins. This venom can cause severe symptoms in humans including intense pain, swelling, and tissue necrosis. If left untreated, the venom can be fatal. There is an anti-venom available for treatment, but proper medical care is required as soon as possible.

Here is an overview of the most common symptoms to watch for after a Cottonmouth snakebite:

  • Intense localized pain
  • Swelling
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Abnormal heart rhythms
  • Low blood pressure
  • Headache
  • Weakness
  • Breathing difficulties

If you encounter a Cottonmouth snake, always be sure to be extremely cautious. In the event of a bite, seek medical help as soon as possible. Never try to capture or handle a venomous snake, as this can be extremely dangerous.