Poisoning caused by organophosphorus pesticides

Poisoning caused by Organophosphorus Pesticides

Organophosphorus pesticides are a large group of synthetic chemicals commonly used throughout the world to control pests in agricultural and horticultural settings. These commonly used toxins can cause serious poisoning in humans if they are not handled properly. In some cases, poisoning from organophosphorus pesticides can result in death.

Signs and Symptoms

  • Nausea
  • Headache
  • Muscle twitching
  • Drooling
  • Weakness
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Vomiting
  • Blurred vision
  • Salivation
  • Seizures
  • Paralysis
  • Coma

The signs and symptoms of organophosphorus pesticide poisoning can vary greatly, depending on the particular organophosphorus pesticide and the amount of exposure. It is important to note that the severity of the poisoning can increase with an increase in exposure.


The treatment of organophosphorus pesticide poisoning often depends on the amount of exposure and the symptom that is presented. Immediate medical attention is necessary for any cases of organophosphorus pesticide poisoning. In some cases, a patient's condition may require intubation, ventilation support, and intravenous fluids. Treatment for organophosphorus pesticide poisoning may also include medications such as atropine or pralidoxime, depending on the specific organophosphorus pesticide.


Preventing poisoning from organophosphorus pesticides is key to avoiding serious illness and death. It is important to carefully read and follow the label directions when using any type of pesticide. In addition, it is important to wear the proper protective clothing when using any type of pesticide, especially when handling a pesticide that contains an organophosphorus pesticide.