Clean Catch Urine Sample: All You Need to Know
A clean catch urine sample is a type of sample collected for diagnostic testing of various diseases. It requires special techniques to have a uncontaminated sample for testing. Here, you will find all you need to know about this type of sample.
Before collecting a clean catch urine sample, there are certain steps that need to be taken. These include:
- Urinating into the toilet before collecting sample.
- Wash the genital area with soap and water.
- Women should spread their labia open and clean from front to back.
- Take a clean cup and fill it up with the middle stream of urine.
- Avoid touching inner portion of the container to ensure purity.
Once the preparation steps are followed, the procedure for collecting the sample is simple. It includes:
- Begin urinating into the toilet.
- Allow the middle stream of urine to enter the container.
- Continue urinating into the toilet and making sure the container doesn’t overflow.
- Stop the stream of urine before ending urination.
- Place the container on a flat surface and close the lid securely.
- Label the container with important patient information, such as name, date and time of collection.
Types of Clean Catch Urine Samples
There are two types of clean catch urine samples that are collected, namely:
- Mid-stream catch (MSP): This involves collecting a sample from the middle of the urine stream.
- Catheter specimen of urine (CSU): This involves inserting a catheter into the bladder and collecting the urine.
Risks of Clean Catch Urine Samples
Collecting a clean catch urine sample is a safe procedure that does not involve any risks. However if the techniques used to collect the samples are not up to the mark, then contamination is likely to occur.
Why Is Clean Catch Urine Sample Needed?
Clean catch urine samples are usually collected for diagnostic testing. These tests help identify conditions like urinary tract infections, kidney stones, and other abdominal symptoms. Furthermore, they are also useful in assessing how well different medications are working.
When Is Clean Catch Urine Sample Needed?
Clean catch urine samples may be needed in any of the following scenarios:
- When experiencing signs and symptoms of a urinary tract infection (UTI).
- When assessing kidney functions or detecting kidney stones.
- When evaluating results of treatment for UTI or other abdominal symptoms.
- When assessing the effectiveness of certain medications.