Gaviscon Advance Aniseed

Gaviscon Advance Aniseed Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Food Interaction and all others data.

Potassium Bicarbonate & Sodium Alginate belongs to a group of medicines called ‘Reflux Suppressants’. Reflux is the process in which the acid juices in the stomach flow back up into the food pipe causing the pain and discomfort commonly known as heartburn. Potassium Bicarbonate & Sodium Alginate works by forming a protective layer that floats on the top of the stomach contents, preventing reflux and keeping the stomach contents away from the lining of the food pipe.

Trade Name Gaviscon Advance Aniseed
Generic Sodium Alginate + Potassium Bicarbonate
Type Oral Suspension
Therapeutic Class Antacids
Manufacturer Forum Health Products Limited
Available Country United Kingdom
Last Updated: September 19, 2023 at 7:00 am
Gaviscon Advance Aniseed
Gaviscon Advance Aniseed


Treatment of symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux such as acid regurgitation, heartburn and indigestion (related to reflux), for example, following meals, or during pregnancy, or in patients with symptoms related to reflux oesophagitis.

Gaviscon Advance Aniseed is also used to associated treatment for these conditions: Arrhythmias Cardiac caused by Hypokalemia, Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), Hypocitraturia, Hypokalemia, Ketoacidosis caused by Hypokalemia, Kidney Stones, Neuromuscular Disorders caused by Hypokalemia, Uric Acid Stones, Calcium oxalate calculi Renal Calculi

How Gaviscon Advance Aniseed works

The antacid potential of potassium bicarbonate is attained by increasing the gastrointestinal pH by neutralizing hydrochloric acid. The increase in pH results in suppression of the action of pepsin which is the enzyme that exacerbates ulceration due to the presence of acid.


Gaviscon Advance Aniseed dosage

Daily 4 times, after meals & before bedtime.


  • Adult and child over 12 years: 1-2 tablets.
  • Child 6-12 years: 1 tablet.


  • Adult and child over 12 years: 5-10 ml.
  • Child 2-12 years: 2.5-5 ml.

This is not recommended for children under 2 years of age.

Side Effects

In addition to the desired effect of the drug, some side effects may appear such as: nausea, constipation, diarrhea or headache. In these cases consult a physician. In case too big dosage has been taken, there might appear a sensation of swelling. In this case it is advisable to consult a physician.


Potassium bicarbonate does not contain any toxic chemicals and it is not listed as a carcinogenic or a potential carcinogen. Potassium bicarbonate is also considered safe in pregnancy as the current data do not suggest a teratogenic potential or any developmental toxicity.


Should be prescribed with caution in patients with renal impairment and congestive cardiac failure.


If you are taking other medicines concomitantly, or have just completed another drug treatment, inform your physician in order to prevent hazards or inefficacy arising from drug interactions.

Elimination Route

Potassium bicarbonate intake is done mainly in the small intestine in which approximately 90% of the potassium will be absorbed by passive diffusion.

Half Life

Some reports have shown that after absorption, most body potassium exchanges rapidly with a half-life of less than 7 hours.

Elimination Route

Approximately 90% of the exogenous potassium consumed is lost in the urine while the other 10% is excreted in feces and a very small amount can be found in the sweat. The excreted potassium is freely filtered by the glomerulus of the kidney.

Pregnancy & Breastfeeding use

This can be given in pregnant and lactating women.


This medicinal product is contraindicated in patients with known or suspected hypersensitivity to the active substances or to any of the excipient.

Acute Overdose

Over dosage with this formulation is a rare case. In case of overdose please consult with a registered physician.

Storage Condition

Store in a cool place (in room temperature, below 30° C).

Innovators Monograph

You find simplified version here Gaviscon Advance Aniseed

*** Taking medicines without doctor's advice can cause long-term problems.