Anodyne Tablet, Gel, Eye Drops
Anodyne Eye Drops contains Anodyne Sodium, a potent non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug with analgesic property. Anodyne Sodium produces anti-inflammatory effect by inhibiting cyclooxygenase activity with a reduction in the tissue prostaglandin ( such as PgE2 and Pg F2α) .
Anodyne Sodium ophthalmic preparation is used for-
- Inhibition of miosis during cataract surgery.
- Post-operative inflammation after cataract surgery and other ocular surgical procedures.
- Pre-operative and post-operative prevention of cystoid macular edema (CME) associated with lens extraction & intraocular lens implantation.
- Post-traumatic inflammation in penetrating and non- penetrating wounds (as an adjuvant to local anti-infective therapy).
- Non-infected chronic conjunctivitis, keratoconjunctivitis.
Anodyne is also used to associated treatment for these conditions: Actinic Keratosis (AK), Acute Arthritis, Acute Gouty Arthritis, Acute Migraine, Acute Musculoskeletal Pain, Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS), Common Cold, Fever, Gouty Arthritis, Inflammation, Inflammatory Disease of the Oral Cavity, Inflammatory Disease of the throat, Inflammatory Reaction of the Nerve, Joint Pain, Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA), Menstrual Distress (Dysmenorrhea), Muscle Inflammation, Ocular Inflammation, Operation site inflammation, Osteoarthritis (OA), Osteoarthritis of the Knee, Pain, Pain, Nerve, Pericarditis, Photophobia, Postoperative pain, Primary Dysmenorrhoea, Radicular Pain, Rheumatic Pain, Rheumatism, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Seasonal Allergic Conjunctivitis, Soreness, Muscle, Spinal pain, Tendon pain, Vertebral column pain, Acute Musculoskeletal injury, Acute, moderate, severe Pain, Inflammatory, Localized soft tissue rheumatism, Mild to moderate joint pain, Mild to moderate pain, Minor pain, Perioperative miosis
|Diclofenac Other Names||Diclofenac, Diclofenac acid, Diclofenaco, Diclofenacum|
|Weight||50mg, 1% w/w, 0.1%, 0|
|Type||Tablet, Gel, Eye Drops|
Diclofenac is over 99.7% bound to serum proteins, primarily albumin. It is undergoes limited binding to lipoproteins as well with 1.1% bound to HDL, 0.3% to LDL, and 0.15% to VLDL.
|Therapeutic Class||Ophthalmic Non-Steroid drugs|
|Manufacturer||Ibn-sina Pharmaceuticals Ltd, Lexicon Pharmaceuticals (pvt) Ltd,|
|Available Country||Bangladesh, Pakistan|
|Last Updated:||June 23, 2021 at 11:19 am|
- Postoperative ocular inflammation: Instill into the appropriate eye 4 times daily starting 24 hr after surgery for up to 28 days.
- Inflammation and discomfort after strabismus surgery: Instill 1 drop 4 times daily for the 1st wk; then tid in the 2nd wk, bid in the 3rd wk, and as required for the 4th wk.
- Pain and discomfort after radial keratotomy: Instill 1 drop before surgery followed by 1 drop immediately after surgery, and then 1 drop 4 times daily for up to 2 days.
- Pain after accidental trauma: Instill 1 drop 4 times daily for up to 2 days.
- Control of inflammation after argon laser trabeculoplasty: Instill 1 drop 4 times during the 2 hr before procedure followed by 1 drop 4 times daily, up to 7 days after procedure.
- Prophylaxis of intra-operative miosis: Instill into appropriate eye 4 times w/in 2 hr before surgery.
- Post-photorefractive keratectomy pain: Instill into the affected eye twice, an hr before surgery, then 1 drop twice at 5-min intervals immediately after surgery, then every 2-5 hr while awake for up to 24 hr.
- Seasonal allergic conjunctivitis: Instill 1 drop before surgery followed by 1 drop immediately after surgery, and then 1 drop 4 times daily for up to 2 days.
Mild to moderate burning sensation in 5-15% patients which is transient in nature and almost never necessitated discontinuation of treatment. Other less common side-effects are sensitivity to light, bad taste, feeling of pressure, allergic reactions etc.
Anodyne eye drops may mask the signs of infection. So physicians should be alert to the development of infections in patients receiving the drug. During prolonged use, it is recommended that physicians conduct periodic examinations of the eye, including measurement of the intraocular pressure. Contact lenses should not be worn during treatment.
No drug interaction is reported. There should be at least 5 minutes interval when another ophthalmic solution (e.g., steroid) is given.
- Avoid excessive or chronic alcohol consumption. Co-administration with alcohol may increase the risk of gastrointestinal side effects, such as ulceration.
- Take with food. Food reduces gastric irritation.
Volume of Distribution
Anodyne has a total volume of distribution of 5-10 L or 0.1-0.2 L/kg. The volume of the central compartment is 0.04 L/kg. Anodyne distributes to the synovial fluid reaching peak concentration 2-4h after administration. There is limited crossing of the blood brain barrier and cerebrospinal fluid concentrations only reach 8.22% of plasma concentrations. Doses of 50 mg delivered via intramuscular injection produced no detectable diclofenac concentrations in breast milk, however metabolite concentrations were not investigated. Anodyne has been shown to cross the placenta in mice and rats but human data is unavailable.
The terminal half-life of diclofenac is approximately 2 h, however the apparent half-life including all metabolites is 25.8-33 h.
Anodyne has a plasma clearance 16 L/h.
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding use
The safety of Anodyne eye drops in pregnancy & lactation has not been established and its use therefore is not recommended unless the potential benefit to the mother outweighs the possible risk to the child.
Hypersensitivity to any of the components Like other non steroidal anti-inflammatory agents, Anodyne Sodium eye drops is contraindicated in patients in whom attacks of asthma, urticaria or acute rhinitis have been observed following application of acetyl salicylic acid or other cyclo-oxygenase inhibitors
Accidental ingestion of Anodyne Sodium presents virtually no risk of unwanted effects, since one 5 ml bottle of eye drop solution contains only 5 mg of Anodyne Sodium, which is equivalent to about 3% of the recommended maximum oral dose for adults.
Close the bottle immediately after use. Do not use for more than four weeks after opening. Store at room temperature.